Riyad as-Salihin (The Meadows of the Righteous)
by Imam Nawawi
41. Chapter: On the prohibition of disobeying parents and severing ties of kinship
Allah Almighty says, "Is it not likely that, if you did turn away, you would cause corruption in the earth and sever your ties of kinship? Such are the people Allah has cursed making them deaf and blinding their eyes." (W47:23-24; 47:22-23)
The Almighty says, "But as for those who break Allah's contract after it has been agreed and sever what Allah has commanded to be joined, and cause corruption in the earth, the curse will be upon them. They will have the Evil Abode." (W13:26; H13:25)
and the Almighty says, "Your Lord has decreed: that you should worship none but Him, and that you should show kindness to your parents, whether one or both of them reach old age with you. So do not say 'Ugh!' to them out of irritation and do not be harsh with them but speak to them with gentleness and generosity. Lower to them, out of mercy, the wing of humility and say: 'Lord, show mercy to them as they did in looking after me when I was small.'" (17:23-24)
336. Abu Bakr Nufay' ibn al-Harith said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'Shall I inform you about the greatest of the major sins?' three times. We said, 'Yes, Messenger of Allah.' He said, 'Associating others with Allah and disobedience to your parents.' He was reclining and sat up and said, 'And telling lies and giving false testimony.' He kept repeating them until we said, 'If only he would be quiet.'" [Agreed upon]
337. 'Abdullah ibn 'Amr ibn al-'As reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The major sins are associating others with Allah, disobeying your parents, killing someone and giving a false oath." [al-Bukhari]
338. Abu 'Abdullah 'Amr ibn al-'As reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "One of the major wrong actions is for a man to abuse his parents." They asked, "O Messenger of Allah, is it possible for a man to abuse his parents?" He replied, "Yes. He may curse a another man's father who in turn curses his father, and curse his mother and he in turn curses his mother." [Agreed upon]
In one variant, "One of the worst major wrong actions is for a man to curse his parents." It was said, "O Messenger of Allah, how can a man curse his parents?" He said, "He may curse another man's father who in turn curses his father, and curse his mother and he in turn curses his mother."
339. Abu Muhammad Jubayr ibn Mut'im reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Someone who severs (ties of kinship) will not enter the Garden." [Agreed upon]
Sufyan said in his variant, "Someone who severs ties of kinship..."
340. Abu 'Isa al-Mughira ibn Shu'ba reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Allah Almighty has forbidden you to disobey your mothers, to deny others what is rightfully theirs or demand what is not rightfully yours, and to bury your daughters alive and He dislikes you engaging in chit-chat, asking too many questions and wasting money." [Agreed upon]