Al-Adab al-Mufrad Al-Bukhari
by Imam Bukhari
Translated by: Ustadha Aisha Bewley
Translated by: Ustadha Aisha Bewley
179. Relating good things between people
385. Umm Kulthum, the daughter of 'Uqba ibn Abi Mu'ayt, reported that she heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, "Someone who makes peace between people by saying something good or relates something good is not a liar."
She said, "I did not hear him make an allowance for any lie that people utilise except in three cases: making peace between people, a man speaking to his wife, and a woman speaking to her husband."
180. A liar is not behaving correctly
386. 'Abdullah reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "You must be truthful. Truthfulness leads to dutifulness and dutifulness leads to the Garden. A man continues to tell the truth until he is written as a siddiq with Allah. Beware of lying. Lying leads to deviance and deviance leads to the Fire. A man continues to lie until he is written as a liar with Allah."
387. 'Abdullah said, "Lying is not correct, neither in seriousness nor in seriousness nor in jest. None of you should promise his child something and then not give it to him."
181. Someone who is patient when people injure him
388. Ibn 'Umar reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The believer who mixes with people and endures their injury is better than the person who does not mix with people nor endure their injury."
182. Enduring injury
389. Abu Musa reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "No one nothing is more patient in enduring an injury which he hears than Allah Almighty. They claim that He has a son, and yet He still cures them and provides for them."
390. 'Abdullah said, "The Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, swore an oath like one of the oaths that people swear and a man of the Ansar said, 'By Allah, it is not an oath by which the Face of Allah Almighty is desired." I said, 'I will tell the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace. I went to him while he was with his Companions and I spoke to him in confidence. It clearly affected him greatly, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and his face changed colour so that I wished that I had not told him. Then he said, 'Musa was injured with greater than that and he endured it.'"
183. Improving a state of friendship
391. Abu'd-Darda' reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Shall I tell you a degree better than prayer, fasting and sadaqa?" "Yes," they replied. He went to say, Improving a state of friendship. Causing discord in a state of friendship is what shaves things away."
392. Regarding the ayat, "Fear Allah and put things right between you," (8:1), Ibn 'Abbas said, "This is an injunction from Allah to the believers to fear Allah and to put things right between them."
184. When you lie to a man and he believes you
393. Sufyan ibn Usayd al-Hadrami reported that he heard the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, "It is great treachery to tell something to your brother so that he believes you when you are lying to him."
185. Do not make a promise to your brother and then break it
394. Ibn 'Abbas reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Do not dispute with your brother. Do not make dun of him. Do not make a promise to him and then break it."
186. Attacking Lineage
395. Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "There are two courses that my Community will not abandon: wailing and attacking a person's lineage."
187. A man's love for his people
396. A woman called Fusayla said that she heard her father say, "I asked, 'Messenger of Allah, is it part of disobedience for a man to help his people in something which is unjust?' 'Yes,' he replied."