Al-Adab al-Mufrad Al-Bukhari
by Imam Bukhari
Translated by: Ustadha Aisha Bewley
Translated by: Ustadha Aisha Bewley
168. Fruits are given to the youngest of children
362. Abu Hurayra said, "When the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was brought new dates, he said, 'O Allah! Bless us in our city and in our mudd and sa', blessing upon blessing.' Then he would give one to the youngest of the children with him."
169. Mercy towards children
363. 'Amr ibn Shu'ayb reported from his grandfather that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Anyone who does not show mercy to our children nor acknowledge the right of our old people is not one of us."
170. Embracing children
364. Ya'la ibn Murra said, "We went out with the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and we were invited to eat. Husayn was playing in the road and the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, raced the people and then spread out his arms. The boy began to run this way and that and the Prophet made him laugh until he caught hold of him. He put one of his hands under his chin and the other on his head and then embraced him. Then the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'Husayn is from me and I am from Husayn. Allah loves anyone who loves Husayn. Al-Husayn is one of my distinguished descendants.'"
171. A man kissing a small girl
365. Bukayr reported that he saw 'Abdullah ibn Ja'far kissing Zaynab, the daughter of 'Umar ibn Abi Salama when she was about two years old.
366. Al-Hasan said, "If you avoid looking at the hair of anyone in your family except your wife or a little girl, then do so."
172. Stroking a child's head
367. Yusuf ibn 'Abdullah ibn Sallam said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, named me Yusuf and let me sit in his room and stroked my head."
368. 'A'isha said, "I used to play with dolls in the presence of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and my friends would play with me. When the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, entered, they would hide from him and he would call them to join me and they would play with me."
173. A man saying, "My son" to a child
369. Abu'l-'Ajlan al-Muharibi said, "While I was in the army of Ibn az-Zubayr, a cousin of mine died and bequeathed one of his camels to be used in the Cause of Allah. I told his son, 'Give me the camel since I was in the army of Ibn az-Zubayr.' He replied, 'Let us go to Ibn 'Umar and ask him about the matter.' We went to Ibn 'Umar and he said, 'Abu 'Abdu'r-Rahman, my father died and bequeathed one of his camels to be used in the Cause of Allah. This is my cousin who is in the army of Ibn az-Zubayr. Shall I give him the camel?' Ibn 'Umar replied, 'My son, the Cause of Allah includes every good action. if you father left his camel to be devoted to the Cause of Allah, I see that there are Muslim people who are carrying out expeditions against the idolaters, so give the camel to them. This man (Abu'l-'Ajlan) and his companions are sons of a people who wish to use the seal (i.e. the seal authority, meaning to rule the people.).'"
370. Jarir reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Allah Almighty will not show mercy to the person who does not show mercy to other people."
371. 'Umar was heard to say, "Anyone who does not show mercy will not be shown mercy. Anyone who does not forgive will not be forgiven. Anyone who does not pardon will not be pardoned or protected."