Shaykh Al-Allamah Mawlana Abul Wafa al-Afghani al-Hyderabadi
Brief Biography of Imam Abul Wafa al-Afghani al-Hyderabadi: (born: 1310 AH / d. 1395 AH)
He is al-Allamah al-Muhaqiq al-Faqih al-Usuuli al-Muhadith al-Naqid al-Sayyid Mahmud Shah al-Qadri al-Hanafi ibn Sayyid Mubarak Shah al-Qadri al-Hanafi, known as Abul Wafa al-Afghani.
Born in 1310 AH in Kandahar, Afghanistan. He came to Hyderabad Deccan in 1330 and joined from Jamia Nizamiyyah ( www.jamianizamia.org ) from where he acquired ijazas in tafsir, hadeeth, fiqh, reciting Quran in various styles (hafs, qaluun, dori, warsh, etc.). Amongst his teachers was the great scholar of Islam, Shaykh al-Islam Fazilat Jung al-Imam al-Kabir Mawlana Anwaar ullah Faruqi, the founder of Jamia Nizamiyyah and the world famous Dairat al-Maarif al - Uthmaniyyah. Other teachers included: Shaykh al-Kabir Abdus Samad, Shaykh Abdul Karim, Shaykh Muhammad Yacub, Shaykh Muqri Muhammad Ayyub, Shaykh Rukn ad-Din and many others.
Shaykh Mawlana Abul Wafa al-Afghani formed: Lajnah Ihya al-Maa'rif al-Nu'maniyyah , the famous Hanafi research center. The main task of Ihya al-Maarif was to research and publish the books of Fiqh and Hadith of great scholars from Salaf (2nd and 3rd century).
Shaykh Abul Wafa visited Hijaz and stayed there for some time. During his stay in Hijaz, he won the respect of noted scholar who visited him and received from him ijazas and asaneed.
Some of the books which he researched and published are:
- Kitaab al-Athar of Imam al-Qadi Abu Yusuf (d. 182)
- Kitaab al-Radd ala Siyr al-Awzaee of Imam al-Qadi Abu Yusuf
- Kitaab Ikhtilaaf abi Hanifah wa Ibn Abi Layla of al-Imam Qadi Abu Yusuf
- Kitab al-Asl of al-Imam Muhammad bin Hasan al-Shaybani (d. 187) , a very useful book. Has the fiqh of Jihad.
- Jami al-Kabir of al-Imam Muhammad bin Hasan.
- Sharh Kitaab al-Athaar of Imam Muhammad bin Hasan
- Al-Hujjah ala Ahl al-Madinah of Imam Muhammad bin Hasan (with the notes of the great Imam al-Muhadith Mufti Mahdi Hasan. A very useful book )
- Mukhtasar al-Tahawi fi fiqh al-Hanafiyyah of Imam Abu Jafar al-Tahawi (d. 321)
- Tarikh al-Kabir of al-Imam Bukhari. (just the third volume)
- Nafahaat al-Jassaas of Imam Sarkhasi
- Usuul al-Fiqh of Imam al-Sarkhasi
- Sharh Ziyadaat of Imam Sarkhasi
- Akhbar Abi Hanifah wa Ashabuh of Imam Abi Abdullah al-Misri (d. 436)
- Manaqib Abu Hanifa wa Sahibeh Abi Yusuf wa Muhammad of Imam Dhahabi
- Uquud al-Jam'aan fi manaqib Abi Hanifah al-Nu'man of Imam Muhammad bin Yusuf al-Salihi al-Shafi (d. 942) and many other numerous books.
Shaykh Abdul Fattah Abu Ghuddah, was one of the students of Mawlana Shaykh Abul
Wafa al-Afghani. Shaykh Abdul Fattah visited Hyderabad 3 times and took ijazas
and asaneed from various other scholars of Hyderabad like Muhadith al-Deccan
Shaykh al-Allamah Abul Hasanaat Abdullah Shah Naqshbandi-Qadri.